9/03/2009

some stray thoughts...

Some stray thoughts and some opinions – all my own…

Long ago , pre-independence days my English teacher – an Englishman used to quote some proverbs some of which ,I can not forget , even today. One of them intrigued most of us at that age and that was : ‘Sun never sets on English Empire’ . we hardly knew how big our own country was – knowing about British Empire was out of our comprehension and like most obedient student we used to nod our head in agreement with all his sayings and opinions…
Independence came , time passed- school to college to University to real time world – where truth could become a causality and pretensions become a norm evolved as a life pattern.
Sun never sets on (or in) British empire – though a proverb, but was a Universal truth till US and Canada wriggled out of it before 1850AD, a part of Latin America was still under the hegemony of England and though we did not know the meaning of longitudes and latitudes at that time my teacher was still correct- though not technically, but euphemistically.

This brings me to another controversial issue – horses are not machines. Almost 90% of race goers believe that , horses are not machines. I don’t accept it.

British people have given many standards to the world – pound(to measure weight and a unit of money) , Ounce, inch, foot, yard and of course horse power- a unit to a measure the power or energy or work done or force. I don’t like to become technically very correct , because I’m not writing a scientific research paper!

They used this word or ‘unit’ to measure or calculate power of machines, steam engines and many other mechanically moving objects(machines) by using a feature – a standard output of an animal called horse. I’ll not talk physics or science but will emphasize only the fact that they discovered that a horse ( farm horse or standard bred or andulician or a thoroughbred – they were just evolving at that time) produces an output of ’energy’ which is measurable and almost constant , to be used as a standard to measure power, energy . Horsepower , was used till it was replaced by -joule, erg etc.
It is still being used in some British standards.

Should we call those people fools- ignorant,and immature, who used a horse as a standard to measure power and almost called them ‘mammalian machines’

Why do we say that horses are not machines… why don’t we accept that it is the homo sapiens - another kind of animal, who manipulates these ‘mammalian machines’ to fool others of their species…

Think with a cool mind and post a reply – if you agree and I’ll welcome a response if you disagree – but with a logical ,reasoned out response – not for me, but for other readers who may appreciate the fallacy or the wrong representation of a truth by me .

6 comments:

Anoop Shergill said...

Hi,
You are class apart man!
your articles are readable and useful.

I will ask you only one question.
www.racinginfo.in is going the premium way. They are asking us to pay for nothing, but labour charges. What else?. I have asked that fello why he is charging so much but he is not answering. What he does there is

1. Collecting selections from various race books and news papers (on net) and posting on his site.
2. Calculation of odds from those tips and selections which every dick and harry knows nowadays.
3. And more than above, the his selections are from heaven.

Look Mr Charan's selections from www.racinginfo.in site.

1. 2-3-7-5
2. 5-4-6-10
3. 12-7-1-2
4. 3-5-12-2
5. 6-11-10-7
6. 5-4-3-2
7. 9-10-5-2
8. 1-2-6-9
9. 5-2-3-4

The above premium site has not tipped a single winner today (first choice). His Day's best (on money favourites) disappears from Board like a magician's wand.

Mr Chanakya ji, you have sometime back published an article in which you said 'beggars have no choices', ok. I agree, but do we pay to anyone who works like this?
This message has been sent to Mr Charan, I dont know he likes to reply me.

A WELL WISHER OF THE PUNTER

chanakya said...

dear Mr. Shergill,
Ithanks for your response. I'm afraid I'll not be able to comment on Charan's site because I've never visited it though I did try to become a member few months ago but could not and , therefore, don't know about his selections although in a poll on Swamybabu's site- I regularly visit, he was topping the list of tipsters.
regarding failure of selections I can only tell you that I maintain a record of about 10 tipsters and can say that ALL of them have failed to tip a SINGLE winner on some occasion...
cole, bol,lucky ,vel(I'll not give the names of individual tipsters who tip in various media and have a clientale) do fail several times ina season. you should try to follow the one who gives best ROI.

I've also tipped and my tips were never put on the net more than one or 1 1/2 hrs before the first race .the reasons are following:
1) Iget the racebook at 6 PM I reachhome by 8PM. bt the timeI'm ready to glance at the racebook it is beyond 9PM.
2) I don't have the facility to study the comparative form of the runners of a race because I don't maintain track record and past record in my system and mostly use info given in BOL & Cole to study the form - whether the race is run in Kolkata or Pune.
3)I don't know Mr. Charan.Neither I interacted with him anytime nor studied his tips and am totally ignorant about his site/blog

well, yes - I did say(write) that beggers are not chosers- I still believe in this dictum.

just an example,
last year when IR site was down I started giving my selections on 'turfparrot' from march till last day of April when all racing in India comes to stop.
Only one tip a day- 9 winners out of 11, not a bad record . what did these freelunchers gave in return - no thanks, no appreciation and acknowledgement!
Few of them were well known persons.
Today 90% of surfers visit every site/blog before the races - several hundred of them, how many write a sentence of appreciation to these bloggers or tipsters who project a 10/1 or 20/1 runner as their first choice! Tiger,Shyam,SWamy, Jimmy and Vyas and even Mr Gosavi(Ponyta) have predicted these 'unbettable'(?) winners AS THEIR FIRST CHOICE TO WIN THAT RACE!

Just one piece of info- I've stopped giving advice- no one is infallible, no one is better than others - the one who knows that he knows not is wiser than the one who thinks - he knows.
chanakya

shergill ka baap said...

Mr Anoop Shergill,
were you forced by anyone to pay for something you never wanted ? why are you crying for something you never desired, you put one day selections to show the failure , now the next day a horse like alamohra wonder how many tipsters tipped ?
if c kumar is bad how did he top the tipsters compitition at bloggers park ? does it mean the rest are not suppose to exist ?
every one has the right to work as he deems fit , if you dont find it worth why do you visit the site ?
lastly mr nair thats your actual name jealousy will finish you off , dont try to be smart using net name man , you have got your answer at shyams blog and it will go worst from here if chanykya decides to keep the debate going by keeping the message on.
one day failure you guys are trying to make a scene out of it , but trust me public is no fool to judge a person on one day failure.
just recently days best sunny baba was 4.5 , get your facts right , you can never even dream of coming any close to him .
the fact remains he is a above average tipsters while the rest of the bloggers are below par.

ahsan qhureshi said...

mr shergill, why dont you just come and do what every dick and harry can do . can do and to do are two diffrent ball games , everyone knows how to do and everyone can do , but to come out and do it is something special.
equine india charges rs 6000 for just giving odds of two major centres, nothing else, you think they dont have members,
guys like you are leeches and parasite on the net who want to spoil for others instead of doing something constructive

chanakya said...

to all who visit my blog,

I'm not interested in a debate in which I have no part. I've even refused to send comments on Tiger's blog when someone made derogatory remarks about me . I'll not use the words used by him.

I therefore, request you all not to choose my blog for WWWF and leave me alone . you are welcome to criticise me for the opinion/remarks expressed by me .
I'll not publish anything by anybody to score brownie points but a logical,supported by facts criticism will be published...

chanakya said...

mr XXX,

Iwas going to reject your mail but decided to publish it last time. I've categorically said that I have no opinion about C Kumar and also said that he was on top a list of bloggers in Swamy's poll. Also that many, rather all tipsters Fail sometime and I've data of Cole,Bol and Lucky though I do not maitain any data on any blogger.
yesterday I categorically said that I'll accept criticism about me and my writings/opinions with factual support and publish it here .Inspite of carefully reading it you have sent your mail and I've published it .I'll reject any further mail from or against you.